You may ask, “Why is there a need to compare puppy food?” The answer is simple. Not all the best puppy food is the most ideal for your dog. This is because different dogs have different needs that have to be met by their nutrition.
So you should take time to research and eventually compare your options before you decide to buy. If it is going to be quite difficult for you, the following tips may be handy:
- Know the age of your puppy. Newborn puppies do not require a lot of food. In fact, they will be highly dependent on their mom. You can start considering buying bulks of puppy food once they get past their six months. Their appetite will become so huge that they will eat many times in a day.
- Determine the weight. Besides the age, you also have to determine the weight of your puppy. This can be helpful when you are looking for protein food. It is imperative that the dog food you have chosen has crude protein. Puppies require more protein than the adults.
- Specifically, puppies that weigh up to 12 pounds need around 33 grams of crude protein every day. Adults, on the other hand, those that go beyond 50 pounds, need 25 grams of protein daily. It is also a completely different story if you are talking about pregnant or lactating mothers.
- Try looking for breed-specific dog food. Do you know that there are some dog foods that are created specifically for breeds? The dog foods have been specially formulated to meet the particular needs of breeds, so you know that they are getting the right nutrients for them. For instance, if you notice, the smaller ones have dog foods that have concentrated nutrients because they have very quick metabolism.
- Check the vitamins and minerals. It is not only protein that you have to be mindful of. You also have to be concerned about the vitamins and minerals that these puppy foods contain.
- As much as possible, you do not want to miss out on the vital ones, such as vitamin A, which is helpful in keeping shiny hair and clear skin. Vitamin D is essential for better calcium absorption in the bones. You also have to look for a puppy food that has selenium, which protects the body from cell mutation that will eventually lead to cancer. Vitamin C, along with other antioxidants, protects the body from several harmful diseases caused by the presence of free radicals in the body.
Dog Food Reviews
Make it a point too to read reviews before you decide to buy puppy food. It is also one of the best ways to make your comparison. These reviews or user ratings are found in the World Wide Web, magazines, and books. You can also ask for them from other dog lovers and professionals such as veterinarians.
Be wise, though, in using reviews. Some of them are made by professional marketers and sellers of dog food, so what they are doing is to actually promote their products.